~ ABOUT US ~
ALL MUSEUM BUILDINGS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO THE COVID-19
PANDEMIC. ALL PUBLIC ACTIVITIES HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED. WE LOOK
FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE WHEN CONDITIONS IMPROVE.
The Passenger Station, Stationmaster's House, and Freight Station are
close together in one complex. The driving directions below lead
you to the freight station. Free parking is available at the
Freight Station, including handicap parking. Enter the lot from
North Market Street. There is more free parking available at the
borough lot just west of the museum on Strawberry Alley, as well as
plenty of on-street parking in the area. The Passenger Station and
Freight Station are both handicap accessible. Normal hours are
Wednesday through Saturday, 12:00 to 3:00, with special hours for
borough events (check our Events page). The Freight Station is
closed three times per year for exhibit change. Admission is free
for normal exhibits.
The Frankenberger Tavern is a short walk east of the complex, on Main
Street. The walk goes by historic buildings such as the former
American House Hotel, Union Church, built in 1825, and Washington Fire
Hall, with a number of historic items on display in back. There is
also parking beside the tavern, at Frankeberger Place. The tavern
is open Saturdays from 12:00 to 3:00 from May through October, and for
special events. Admission is free.
The Washington Street Station is a few blocks west of the main complex,
a short distance north of Main Street. Free on-street parking is
There is no food or drink available in the museum buildings, but there
are restaurants within a short walk on Main Street, and many more within
a short drive. Ask any of our museum docents for specifics.
For other local attractions, food, and lodging info, check out our
For the safety of our volunteers, the museum will be closed when the
Mechanicsburg Area School District closes for weather. We will also close
for snow or ice on Saturdays or during Sunday events.
Mechanicsburg Museum Association
2 Strawberry Alley
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
The Mechanicsburg Museum Association was founded in 1975 in a community
effort to preserve the Stationmaster’s House, a historic Mechanicsburg
landmark, from destruction. Since its founding, the Association has
preserved and promoted Mechanicsburg’s unique history with educational
programs, gallery exhibits, and by acquiring four more historic buildings
in the area.
The MMA owns and preserves four Mechanicsburg buildings built by the
Cumberland Valley Railroad: The 1866 Stationmaster's House, The 1886
Freight Station, The 1867 Passenger Station and the 1899 Washington Street
Station. The buildings are open to the public during regular museum hours
and at special events, such as Jubilee Day, and other community
celebrations. The 1801 Frankenberger Tavern, Mechanicsburg's oldest known
building, is open seasonally and for special events. Admission is
free to all normal exhibits.
Our main office is located in the Passenger Station at 2 West Strawberry
Alley, with exhibits on Mechanicsburg's history and Cumberland Valley
Railroad history. The Freight Station houses changing exhibits, the Museum
Store, and museum archives. The Stationmaster's House is furnished as it
might have been when new, as a glimpse of life in the 1860s. The
Washington Street Station is a small building with exhibits viewed through
the windows. The Frankenberger Tavern is furnished as it might have been
in the early 1800s.
The Association is active within the community, sponsoring annual events
such as the Heritage Golf Tournament, a Holiday Wreath sale, and dinner at
the historic Frankenberger Tavern. The Sunflower Garden Tour and Flower
Show and the Quilt Show are held on alternating years.
The Mechanicsburg Museum Association was incorporated as a non-profit
corporation in 1976.
~To collect and preserve material to establish or illustrate the history
of Mechanicsburg and provide for its accessibility of the community and
~To develop educational programs for all ages and disseminate information
in prepared programs/guest lecturers
~To restore significantly historic buildings
~To establish and maintain exhibits in keeping with the theme of local
history and development
MMA 2021 Board of Directors
Frankie Hensel, President Sandy Showers,
Treasurer Faith Matthews, Recording Secretary
Pam Weaver Gary Weber Pat Berkheimer
Virginia Herring Christine Dixon Linda Willis
Cheryl Hoke Dennis Rehm